The Youth Business Alliance (YBA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that focuses on bringing critical 21st century business skills and perspectives into the classroom by leveraging business partnerships and resources from the community.
The YBA was formed in 2012, servicing one disadvantaged school. We are now in 14 schools serving roughly 350 disadvantaged high school students each year. The YBA provides a year-long after school course ("Introduction to Business & Careers") to these students, who will receive a full high school course credit upon successful completion.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
- The YBA program is currently being offered in 14 schools throughout the Los Angeles area
- The program targets 20-25 high school juniors in each school with a GPA of 3.5+
- The courses are led by fully credentialed high school teachers and business leaders
- YBA classes are two hours long and are held every week after school for an entire year
FOCUSED ACQUIRING SKILLS FROM EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
- Student Presentations: Projects and Presentations will develop soft skills, professional acumen, business presentation & communication experience
- Business Competitions: Individual and team based challenges will present students with real world scenarios and opportunities to experience firsthand
- Speakers: Regularly scheduled business leaders from community presenting in class and leading discussions
- Field Trips: Behind the scenes visits to local area businesses will educate the students on various industries
ABOUT OUR FOUNDER
The Youth Business Alliance (YBA) was founded by Mark Stagen, a lifelong serial entrepreneur and community leader. Mark started his first company, a comic book store, at age 15 and hasn't looked back. Mark is a huge believer that if kids have access to, and inspiration from, business leaders and the professional community it greatly improves their chances of being successful in school, business and life.
In addition to founding the YBA, Mark has deep experience in a variety of industries including health care, technology and real estate. Mark has received numerous business and community awards including: Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year, Inc. 500, and the Los Angeles Business Journal. He was one of the Founding Board Members of New Millennium Charter School and is actively involved in several local and national business, entrepreneurial and philanthropic causes including: Young Presidents Organization (YPO), StartEngine and the E&Y Entrepreneur of the Year program as a frequent Judge.
Mark received his BA from Yale University and is also a frequent guest university lecturer (i.e. UCLA & USC).